I have finished Part 4 of the tutorial revision I’ve been working on. Here’s what we have covered so far:
- Part 1 – basic landmass shape, some techniques for generating a random map
- Part 2 – coloring in your ocean/sea, coloring your landmass with textured grass and dirt
- Part 3 – create mountains and forests on your map
- Part 4 – create rivers and lakes, place icons for towns and cities, drawing roads on your map
- Part 5 – this post: create lables for your geographical features, towns and settlements; create title banner; create legend banner; place compass rose; finish map with border.
Here is a shot of the finished example map from the tutorial:
Here is the tutorial link. I hope you’ve found the tutorial useful and interesting. If you like fantasy cartography, head on over to The Cartographer’s Guild site and take a look at the great resources they have available. You can post your own maps for critiques, and get inspiration from other cartographers, including professional artists.